Visit Harleston

History and Heritage

There are a wide range of things to do and see to please all tastes. Find the type of thing to do and see you are looking for from the Category menu above.

Harleston Museum

Harleston Museum

The Museum displays artefacts relating to the life and times of the people of Harleston and the immediate surrounding parishes from pre-historic times to the present day. Items on display illustrate; personal and domestic life, working life, costume, recreation, enterainment and the built environment of the town.

Run by the Harleston and District Historial Society this compact museum is staffed by local volunteers. Opening times are Wednesday 10.00 - 12.00 and 14.00 - 16.00 and Saturday 10.00 - 12.00 from May until September. There is no entry fee, but donations are appreciated.


Tel: 01379 854423
Address: Next to King George's Hall, Broad Street, Harleston. IP20 9AZ

100th Bomb Group Memorial Museum

100th Bomb Group Memorial Museum

Housed in the original airfield control tower and other atmospheric buildings 100th Bomb Group Memorial Museum is a moving testament to the Americans who came to Thorpe Abbotts in Norfolk to fight alongside the allies during World War Two.

Opening times are: 1 March to 31 October, weekends and bank holidays, 10:00 - 17:00.  Also Wednesdays, May to September. Last admission is at 16:00.


Tel: 01379 740708
E-mail: 100bgmm@tiscali.co.uk
Website: http://www.100bgmus.org.uk
Address: Common Road, Dickleburgh, Norfolk IP21 4PH

Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum

Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum

The Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum is a museum collection of aircraft and aviation-related artefacts, located near the former RAF Bungay airfield. Formed in 1972 by local enthusiasts, there are over 60 aircraft, and more then 30,000 smaller artefacts displayed in large hangars and themed buildings on its eight acre site. The collection aims to promote preserve and promote history of aviation history in East Anglia.

Beyond the hangars is the Adair Walk, which offers a peaceful stroll along a raised boardwalk to the River Waveney. Winding through a Willow plantation, it stretches for around 350 yards long and is of wheel-chair width, with passing points; there is a seat on the staging overlooking the river bank.

There is no admission charge, but donations are encouraged. There is a shop and a NAAFI selling light refreshments.

Opening times are: November to March: Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday 10.00 - 16.00, and April to October: Sunday to Thursday 10.00 - 17.00. Dogs are permitted when on leads.


Tel: 01986 896644
Website: http://www.aviationmuseum.net
Address: The Street, Flixton, Nr. Bungay, Suffolk, NR35 1NZ

Round Tower Churches

Round Tower Churches

Round tower churches are a Saxon and Norman cultural legacy, and feature round, rather than square, towers.  There are about 185 surviving examples in England, of which 162 are in Norfolk and Suffolk. The reason for the design is shrouded in mystery, but is thought to be due to the smaller Flint stone found in East Anglia being more easily fashioned into round towers, rather than making corners. There are some churches within a few miles of Harleston at Rushall, Needham, Syleham, Thorpe Abbotts and Weybread.  A full list of all churches, and more information, can be found at the Round Tower Churches Society website.

Homersfield Bridge

Homersfield Bridge

Homersfield Bridge was built in 1869 across the River Waveney between Norfolk and Suffolk, and stands partly in the civil parishes of Alburgh and Wortwell, Norfolk and partly in Homersfield, Suffolk. It is a very early example of the use of concrete and the oldest remaining concrete bridge in Britain. This grage II* listed bridge was an early experiment in combining iron with concrete for bridges design and predates the emergence of true reinforced concrete at the end of the 19th century.

It has a single 50 foot (15 metres) span consisting of a wrought iron frame encased in concrete and a cast iron balustrades. In the 1990s the bridge was restored by Norfolk Historic Building Trust and Suffolk Preservation Society after it had been compulsorily purchased by Norfolk County Council. Closed to road traffic, Homersfield Bridge is now a foot and cycle path.

Billingford Mill

Billingford Mill

A five storey brick tower mill, built in 1860, with a boat shaped cap winded by a fantail. It has four double Patent sails carried on a cast iron windshaft. The two pairs of millstones are overdrift. A third pair is housed on a hurst frame on the ground floor of the mill and can be driven by engine. At present the mill is without cap and sails while repairs are under way, but it can still be visited.

The mill is open on certain Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays, check the website for details. It can also be opened by arrangement with the Mill Custodians using listed number


Tel: 01379 853967
Website: http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/out-and-about-in-norfolk/windmills
Address: Billingford; A143 between Harleston and Diss

Eye Castle

Eye Castle

Eye Castle is one of the few surviving motte-and-bailey castles from the early Norman period. Built shortly after the Norman conquest of England in 1066, the castle was sacked and largely destroyed in 1265 but was probably used as a defensive site for many centuries before that. Now, rather than dominating the surrounding area with military might, the castle offers a tranquil, fun and interesting place to visit


Website: http://www.eyecastle.co.uk/eye-castle-heritage-trail/the-castle/
Address: 35 Castle St, Eye, IP23 7AW

Earsham Hall

Earsham Hall

Earsham Hall is one of the finest country mansion houses in Norfolk. It has a rich and varied history dating back in part to the 15th century, with later additions, and then a brick facade so that it looked more in keeping with its different parts. A series of guided walks operate throughout the year ending with tea being served in the Hall itself.

Historical Tour

A two hour guided tour and a visit to the Showrooms before Afternoon Tea being served in the Tearooms.

Home Tour

This is for those people who have been on a Historical Tour of Earsham Hall already, but would like to see more and has been created due to popular demand. Find out more about what it is like to live at Earsham Hall day to day, how history and modern living mix and just what it means to live in a house which has such a fascinating past…and present.  The tour concludes in the family kitchen where Tea and Cake will be served.


Tel: 01986 893868
Website: http://www.earshamhallevents.co.uk
Address: Earsham Hall, Near Bungay, NR35 2AN

Castle Hill and Darrow Wood

Castle Hill and Darrow Wood

This one for the archeologists. Darrow Wood is now a small, hedge-enclosed, lightly wooded pasture field. Hidden in the clumps of trees are a number of earthworks including the remains of one of the few well preserved small motte and bailey castles in Norfolk. They have been known for over a century yet who built them and when or why they were constructed remains a mystery

The site is located near to Darrow Green Road on the West side of the parish. The nearest postcode is IP20 0AY. The easiest approach is via the public footpath leading due East from Darrow Green Road near to Darrow Green Farm. Please note that roadside parking is very limited.


Website: http://www.denton-norfolk.co.uk/history/castle/
Address: Darrow Green Road, Denton

Contact

Telephone:

01379 855235
© 2019 Harleston's Future | Privacy Policy  | Site designed & Maintained by Red Dune