Mayflower Model Boat Race
Time and Location
About The Event
Mayflower Model Boat Race for pupils of Harleston Primary School.
This September will be the 400th Anniversary of people from Harleston sailing on the Mayflower to America. In celebration of this, we are organising a ‘mini-boat race’ on our River Waveney – using model ships made by pupils of tjhe Harleston primary School.
It will take place on at Homersfield Bridge, Old Flixton Road. The race will be between the two bridges at Homersfield and will symbolise crossing the Atlantic Ocean from England to America. Parking available at the Black Swan, Homersfield.
There will be prizes of Harleston Vouchers, for both the winners of the race and for the best looking ships. The ships will be judged for their design and looks before they take part in the race along the river.
1. Each entrant will be given at least one piece of MDF and (if required) a length of cane to use, as a mast and yardarms for the sails. These can be collected from the porch at St Johns Church, Harleston.
2. Each ship must use the MDF board in construction.
3. The MDF board can be used as a whole or cut up to form sections (see examples below)
4. Using a cane is optional
5. There must be some form of structure or construction on top of the board
6. No motors or towing mechanisms are allowed. The ship may only be powered by the flow of the river and wind.
7. Sails are optional (you may have one sail or several in your design)
8. A simple rudder may be added to guide the direction of the ship.
9. All ships must have the entrant's name clearly written on them in waterproof ink.
10. Only the referee and his team will be allowed in the river to launch, rescue, or dislodge ships.
- cut up compostable plastic bags to form sails
- wire twist ties can be used for fastening sails on to masts and yardarms
- drawing pins are useful to attach things to the board.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL CHILDREN REMAIN THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THEIR PARENTS/CARERS AND MUST BE SUPERVISED AND REMAIN ON THE RIVER BANKS OR BRIDGE AT ALL TIMES.