Caltofts Red Cross Hospital

William Henry Hazard then allowed his house ‘Caltofts’ on Broad Street, Harleston, which is behind the War Memorial to be used as a Voluntary Aid Society Hospital with 20 beds.  This was open from 5 May 1917 until it closed on 7 April 1918 having admitted 136 patients.

The soldiers wore a uniform of light blue jacket and trousers, white shirt and red tie.  They were not allowed to visit any Public Houses.

  • Facebook

© Harleston's Future.   All rights reserved